Currently reading:
Combo-socket instead of Consumer Unit for Temp Supply

Discuss Combo-socket instead of Consumer Unit for Temp Supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

woodyalan

Foreword: Apologies if this is repetitious, I did a google and came up with nothing.

Story time: I have just had my meter relocated by Scottish Power and it now sits in a spanking new box, terminating at a dipole isolator and earth block (which I assume is standard stuff). Now, since we are renovating the associated property, it would be convenient to draw power from this supply. My question is, is it possible to use a combination socket (inc RCD+MCB) connected directly to SPs isolating switch (and earth), instead of installing a Consumer Unit? Reasons being:
1. I would like it to fit all the gear into the cabinet - (I realise SP might not be too happy about equipment in their cabinet but the installer seemed unperturbed.)
2. I am trying to minimise costs..so £ small CU+socket > £ combo socket ?

If so, suitable combo-socket suggestions (and approx £) would be much appreciated, (if forum rules allow?_ Otherwise, if a different solution is more appropriate, I welcome your suggestions.

P.S. I will get the job certified or carried out by a professional, depending on whether I decide to DIY or not.

Thanks for your time:)

In direct response to what you are suggesting, it won't meet the requirements of the DNO, or BS7671 and thus you need a competent spark to undertake the necessary.

Its not a case of slap in what you believe may be suitable there are restrictions on the use of what I suspect is a Pme earth terminal for temporary installations

This is not your average Diy activity
My advise,follow Murdochs advise

Thanks for the reply. Does the suggested solution not meet requirements even if it were carried out by a qualified electrician? If not, then what would you recommend?

In addition, by 'combo-socket' I mean something along the lines of this unit from ABB, with RCD/MCB fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have another property being fed from your CU (fuse box) they need to have access to it incase any of their circuits trips, so your answer is no I'm afraid. A new cable from your CU to a new CU in the other property is required. Not a DIY job for even the most competent person.

Thanks for the reply. Does the suggested solution not meet requirements even if it were carried out by a qualified electrician? If not, then what would you recommend?

In addition, by 'combo-socket' I mean something along the lines of this unit from ABB, with RCD/MCB fitted.

You are in the DIY section of the Electricians forum. We will not give out advice to somebody who wants to do something dangerous.

I state again, what you are asking will not meet the requirements of the DNO or BS7671.

Paul, at the moment there is no CU installed. Existing is a single meter cabinet and gear as installed by SP, connected at the property under renovation (one property only). All I require from the supply is a 2-gang socket for carrying out renovation works - and in a round-about way, I was asking what the best (read 'cheapest'!) way of doing this was.

Testing the water, really - all signs point to phone the local electrician tomorrow morning!

Paul, at the moment there is no CU installed. Existing is a single meter cabinet and gear as installed by SP, connected at the property under renovation (one property only). All I require from the supply is a 2-gang socket for carrying out renovation works - and in a round-about way, I was asking what the best (read 'cheapest'!) way of doing this was.

Testing the water, really - all signs point to phone the local electrician tomorrow morning!

By hiring a competent Electrician.

Gentlemen - I recommend no further advice to the OP.

By hiring a competent Electrician.

Gentlemen - I recommend no further advice to the OP.

Murdoch, I'm on board. My dreams of DIY domestic electrics are tempered.

I won't insult the board any further by turning it into a price comparison site, but I am interested in an approximating the cost for such a job.

I suppose I should speak to a competent electrician.

Murdoch, I'm on board. My dreams of DIY domestic electrics are tempered.

I won't insult the board any further by turning it into a price comparison site, but I am interested in an approximating the cost for such a job.

I suppose I should speak to a competent electrician.

Almost impossible to say without a site visit. Get 2 or 3 quotes from recommended sparks.

we have loads of electricians from Wales on here woody. if you want pop your location on for a couple to come round and quote for you

we have loads of electricians from Wales on here woody. if you want pop your location on for a couple to come round and quote for you

Dreams crushed, all vulnerable: and now you're scalping for business!

All seriousness though, thanks for the suggestion but I have a few electricians in mind who I will get in touch with tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

Dreams crushed, all vulnerable: and now you're scalping for business!

All seriousness though, thanks for the suggestion but I have a few electricians in mind who I will get in touch with tomorrow.

Cheers guys.
lol was not scouting for myself. Let us know how you go on and good luck with the job.

As electricians we have to comply with the regulations even a temporary supply has to be installed and tested ,and a certificate issued even if it is just one circuit supplying one socket and as you are installing a new circuit it also has to be notified

Reply to Combo-socket instead of Consumer Unit for Temp Supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock