Currently reading:
UK First time NAPIT assessment

Discuss First time NAPIT assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
There are a few variations of this question here so apologies if its a bit of a broken record but I can't quite find the exact answers I'm after. Straight to the point:

Has anyone recently had a first time NAPIT assessment?
If so, were you able to show work in your own home? I know this used to be acceptable but I am sure I recently read this was no longer acceptable? I was thinking of changing changing the CU in my house, putting a new supply to the garage with new garage CU and an outside lighting circuit. (I would actually prefer not to change the main CU as currently it is a pretty nice Eaton RCBO filled job, however not sure the other items would be enough alone?)

And now some unnecessary background waffle:

I have never previously been a member of a scheme, but having recently decided to take on larger jobs than the odd outside light or socket for f&f to cover the ever increasing cost of being alive, I have found myself being asked to do 2 full rewires and a wire up an annex..
I would like to know I can certify these before agreeing, ideally. One rewire is for a friend who would be more than happy to let me show someone the work after, but it still doesn't really sit right with me knowing I am not absolutely guaranteed to be able to sign it off at the end. It seems a strange thing to me that I can't certify things, but need to actually do the work to show the inspector...

Finally, for clarity I am hoping I would get through it just fine (though nothing is a given!), I have all quals and more including 2396 design, apprenticeship served and 10 years of employed experience from small domestic to VSD control panels and PLC/hard logic safety systems in nuclear . None the less I would rather have it wrapped up and in place before taking on paying work.

All insight welcome,

Thanks,

Before my first assessment, the assessor phoned me and we talked it all through. That wasn't all that recently though.

I wouldn't worry about doing a job, doing the certificate, then showing it an assessor. I forget the exact details but the notification to LABC has a certain amount of leeway in it with regard to the timescale.

They normally only give the job the most cursory glance, and focus more on having you do one or two tests e.g .Zs@DB and PFC, or maybe an rn on a RFC etc.

With regards to the job, it may be that the garage CU would be enough for him if it has two new circuits. If there was a tiny ring final circuit in there that could tip the balance.
Make the guy a cuppa when he turns up, have your insurance documents and your MFT calibration certificate handy. Ideally have 3 possible jobs to visit (they always choose the nearest one!)

Ultimately they know it's your first assessment and they don't expect you to understand their way of doing things immediately so try and relax!

Before my first assessment, the assessor phoned me and we talked it all through. That wasn't all that recently though.

I wouldn't worry about doing a job, doing the certificate, then showing it an assessor. I forget the exact details but the notification to LABC has a certain amount of leeway in it with regard to the timescale.

They normally only give the job the most cursory glance, and focus more on having you do one or two tests e.g .Zs@DB and PFC, or maybe an rn on a RFC etc.

With regards to the job, it may be that the garage CU would be enough for him if it has two new circuits. If there was a tiny ring final circuit in there that could tip the balance.
Make the guy a cuppa when he turns up, have your insurance documents and your MFT calibration certificate handy. Ideally have 3 possible jobs to visit (they always choose the nearest one!)

Ultimately they know it's your first assessment and they don't expect you to understand their way of doing things immediately so try and relax!

Thanks for the reply. First times are always a bit nerve wracking, that said I don't remember them being so expensive in the past.

Have pulled the trigger on it, so once they give me a call I'll have a chat with the assessor and see what he is looking for. Fingers crossed it all goes well, in my head/after watching a few videos on YT it feels like he's going to turn up and grill me on Vd calcs and thermal effects for half a day, but perhaps I'm over-egging it!

Good luck. Dont panic - its all in the book.

I'm with NICEIC. For what its worth at my annual assessment this year (whilst on site) I was asked to perform a Zdb, continuity and IR on a radial socket circuit, RCBO trip times, all after going through safe isolation. I was asked about maximum Zs values. spacing distances of conduit fixings. We talked about PAS document with regards to battery installations and also the proposed AM3. The rest of the time my assessor took the P&^% out of me - friendly banter, I get the same assessor every year.

Have pulled the trigger on it, so once they give me a call I'll have a chat with the assessor and see what he is looking for. Fingers crossed it all goes well, in my head/after watching a few videos on YT it feels like he's going to turn up and grill me on Vd calcs and thermal effects for half a day, but perhaps I'm over-egging it!
It honestly comes down to the assessor in question. A lot of them are not direct Napit employees, but consultants, and expectations can vary a bit.
My usual assessor is brilliant, helpful, and likes tea. Don't be scared to say "I'm not sure off top of head but I know where to find that out....". They prefer that to arrogantly talking rubbish!

Reply to First time NAPIT assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock