Search the forum,

Discuss Stepladder safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I take my happy pills in a morning, they don’t work!

High as a kite on painkillers now.

Cheers DW, just realised I’ve not taken one lot, back in a bit.

Got it at work here. All our ladders/steps are Scafftagg Ladder register and are checked monthly plus RA and ladder training but now the in house HSE bloke says we gotta bin all the steps and replace them with handrail types plus we have a genie MEWP for any high works.

Fall restraints count as a point of contact.

What a ridiculous comment, using fall restraint on steps is as pointless and pouring water into a bottomless bucket.

Steps should only be used for short duration work and you should have steps that are fit for purpose, on a level surface, free from external impact dangers and you should endeavour to maintain 3 points of contact (Not always practical)

If the task you are doing will take more than 5-10 minutes you should investigate an alternative such as platform steps or a scaff tower or MEWP.

People who advocate using harnesses on steps are simply accidents waiting to happen.

Fall restraint gear is useless below a certain height.
You need space for the shock absorbing element in them to operate, before you hit the ground!
I'm familiar with this being an ex (haven't been for 2 years!) climber.
If you fall on a length of rope, rigidly fixed at one end, other end on you, the shock generated can seriously damage you.

What a ridiculous comment, using fall restraint on steps is as pointless and pouring water into a bottomless bucket.

Steps should only be used for short duration work and you should have steps that are fit for purpose, on a level surface, free from external impact dangers and you should endeavour to maintain 3 points of contact (Not always practical)

If the task you are doing will take more than 5-10 minutes you should investigate an alternative such as platform steps or a scaff tower or MEWP.

People who advocate using harnesses on steps are simply accidents waiting to happen.

I don't write the rules, I just said it counts as a point of contact.

I agree if there is a safer way then use it.

For reference, as I did a Harness/ restraint /Arrester course recently.

Restraints stop you getting into trouble, i.e keep you away from a roof edge.

Arresters break your fall, in the event of an unplanned downward decent, but you better have a rescue plan and team ready if you plan to use one.

I'm under the impression nower days that no ladder work to be under taken. Ladder for access only. Sizzor platforms, cherry pickers etc to be used. Years ago in a large church high roof, we would use a 16ft double extender ladder, separate the 2 ladders and place each ladder together at the top, forming a triangle. Man footing each ladder, electrician climbs 1 ladder to suspended light fittings! What would H & S say?

First of all, Im sorry to hear about the guy who broke his back.BUT...... what a load of Bull****.... Handrail steps, platforms, scaffolding, "no ladder work at all", Fall arrest etc, etc, etc.. Maybe I'm just old school, use your judgement, take risks if you have too, but way up the pros and cons. No wonder the country and our industry is in chaos, no wonder the youngsters have no common sense... they're not allowed to! We're in a trade... a building trade, its dangerous and risky, ACCIDENTS happen... GET OVER IT!All this crap just reassures me I'm better off as a sole trader, never employing again...

A few months ago I was on a site with a lad from the forum. The site was run by Strategic Group. They also had a "NO" ladder rule...we had to use mobile scaff etc....it was a right pain in the rear coz the false ceilings were sloped...so when we came to hang the light fittings, we had to keep making the platform higher and lower....would of taken half the time using steps!!!

A few months ago I was on a site with a lad from the forum. The site was run by Strategic Group. They also had a "NO" ladder rule...we had to use mobile scaff etc....it was a right pain in the rear coz the false ceilings were sloped...so when we came to hang the light fittings, we had to keep making the platform higher and lower....would of taken half the time using steps!!!

on a lot of our jobs they don't let you use steps at the start but they do at the end.

ive broken these rules etc a lot on site, its odd really not many firms would let you crawl along cable tray etc at height or ontop of trunking etc

Reply to Stepladder safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back