Discuss 100w bulb into a 60w fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TimmyP

DIY
Reaction score
My mother. 92 and a bit senile has been putting 100w incandecent light bulbs into 60w fittings. After a few days the bulbs burn out. She asked where she was going wrong! As soon as she switched on the lights the bulb burned out and the switch in the fuse box switched to OFF and she replaced it with another 100w!. I replaced the 100w bulbs with 60w ones. How likely is it that she has done permanent damage to the light fitting and the electrics?

not likely. the lighting circuit is/waS designed at 6A load, which equates to 240 x 6 = 1440 watts, or 14 100 watt lamps all on together. circuit is however capable of handling much more load. it's just the fuse/MCB rating that limits it. the 100 wat lamps burning out is probably due to cheap bulbs, as in tesco/b&q, etcc.

Welcome to the forum mate.
The light fittings are only designed for 60W. A 100W light bulb will draw more current than the fitting is designed for.
The fitting may have been getting a bit hot. You could look for heat damage to the fitting. (When it's safe to do so)
Better still to get your mum some LED lights, and then that will save her money on her electricity bill as well.
Does she use a dimmer switch on the lights?

Welcome to the forum mate.
The light fittings are only designed for 60W. A 100W light bulb will draw more current than the fitting is designed for.
The fitting may have been getting a bit hot. You could look for heat damage to the fitting. (When it's safe to do so)
Better still to get your mum some LED lights, and then that will save her money on her electricity bill as well.
Does she use a dimmer switch on the lights?
Hi Spoon - thanks for the reply. If the fittings have experienced heat damage will that cause the new 60w not to work? The 60w bulbs are working fine - does that mean no heat damage has happened?

Hi Spoon - thanks for the reply. If the fittings have experienced heat damage will that cause the new 60w not to work? The 60w bulbs are working fine - does that mean no heat damage has happened?

There may be minor heat damage and the 60W light will still work. All depends on the level of damage, if there is any at all.
As @telectrix says, its unlikely, but you can always check, just to be sure.

As said, the issue with putting higher power bulbs in fittings with shades is the build up of heat. That can cause the bulb to fail, and in my experience sometimes take out the MCB or fuse powering it.
If your mother needs the better illumination, you could provide her with some high power LED versions, as mentioned by Spoon.
I obtained some "200 Watt equivalent" LED bayonet bulbs, and been impressed with the light output. Not sure about the 'equivalence', but they are certainly brighter than a 100W filament bulb, and run cool. Prefer 'warm white' myself!

Not recommending any particular brand, and you take pot luck with how long they last, but they do chuck out the light:

Still loads of 100W bulbs on fleabay! I think RS filament bulbs are still legit?
I was under the impression it was legal to sell "existing stock", or at least that was the case for a long while, but one would have thought that was all used up by now 🤔

Heat damaged from 100W versus 60W rating is likely but only after a fairly long time, I suspect measured in weeks unless it is in a rather hot or poorly ventilated area. I suspect cheap or wrong-voltage 100W bulbs simply blowing and that used to be a common trigger for tripping the supply breaker.

If you can get LED lamps that are 15W = 100W equivalent (seen them in B&Q and similar) or even those 23W once mentioned above as "200W" (but a bit of a lie I suspect) they will be much better. Similar brightness and instant-on of filament, colour rendering is better than fluorescent as well (even if still not quite like halogen).

Also much longer lifetime (usually...) so need changed far less frequently.

I suspect that the lamps have failed due to being old and having been moved around many times... or, they've already been used and the filaments have 'set' in a particular orientation.

As previously said... I'd just replace all the lamps with LED ones, and take away all the filament lamps, with strict instructions not to change any of them herself.

These 150W babys were hot.

Attachments

• normal_Vintage-GEC-220v-150w-Pearl-Light-Bulb-with-BC-Cap.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5
Once I had a 500W photo-flood lamp that fitted a standard BC fitting so for a joke put it in a small room's light (no shade, would not fit) and was amazed by how bright the room was! Probably around 1980...

Alas, such lamps only has about 100 hour life as they ran the filament hot to get whiter lights!

Where did she get the 100W bulbs? They haven't been readily available for years.
I had a customer complaining of new bulbs with a very short life, and it turned out she had been sold 110V rough service bulbs intended for site use.
The answer is definitely to change to LED bulbs.
Hi Brian - the bulbs she used were from a company called Acorn Solutions (personally, never heard of them). 100w. Warm white 2800K. 1000 hr (that's a joke). Their HQ is in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Any expereince of Acorn Solution anyone?

Hi Brian - the bulbs she used were from a company called Acorn Solutions (personally, never heard of them). 100w. Warm white 2800K. 1000 hr (that's a joke). Their HQ is in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Any expereince of Acorn Solution anyone?

I think that probably answers the question!

As above, get some good quality warm white LEDs in place.

And good luck to her - many more years to come hopefully, just with less lamp changing!

My neighbours know to come to me for their replacement filament bulbs. I have a couple of boxes of 60W and 100W...well, I did have,m but they are running out now due to high demand!
I also have a good supply of those long tubes for under-cabinet lights, in various sizes. One neighbour asked me to replace a couple of hers that had died...she had 11 of them daisy-chained under her wall units. As I attempted to take the old ones out, all the brown plastic end caps and the switches simply turned to dust and there was clear evidence of severe overheating everywhere in all the fittings. Fitted 3 Robus battens, which i rate quite highly, and all was better and brighter, with the option to switch between cool white and warm white.

My neighbours know to come to me for their replacement filament bulbs. I have a couple of boxes of 60W and 100W...well, I did have,m but they are running out now due to high demand!
I also have a good supply of those long tubes for under-cabinet lights, in various sizes. One neighbour asked me to replace a couple of hers that had died...she had 11 of them daisy-chained under her wall units. As I attempted to take the old ones out, all the brown plastic end caps and the switches simply turned to dust and there was clear evidence of severe overheating everywhere in all the fittings. Fitted 3 Robus battens, which i rate quite highly, and all was better and brighter, with the option to switch between cool white and warm white.

I had a couple of people ask me about replacement tubes for undercabinet lights. In both instances the old fittings were in similarly poor condition and both families were delighted with the improved lighting from 4000k LED battens at minimal additional cost.

I can't conceive of paying the cost of illuminating rooms with 100W incandesent lamps, when previous objections to CFL lamps have been overcome with the advent of readily available, low cost LED replacements.

Last edited:
@pirate You'd be doing your neighbours a much greater service if you explained to them the advantages of LED replacement lamps, especially the GLS filament type.

P.S. Nice email this morning, informing me that I'm going to be charged 30p per unit of electricity soon.

Last edited:

Reply to 100w bulb into a 60w fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net