Search the forum,

Discuss How to calculate sizing of vacuum circuit breaker in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mooyong

Hi- I am looking for some help/ advice please. I'm confused about how How to calculate sizing of vacuum circuit breaker.

This project I work on it use 40m0A TP Vacuum circuit breaker to support pump 800 kW 11kV

I calculate the current just 49.4 A (800*1000/1.732/11000/0.85 ) I don't know why it use 400 A Someone know please explain me

Sorry for bad english i'm not native language

untitled.JPG

I think he is asking why a would a 50A motor have a 400A breaker protecting it.

Ahh it all becomes clear now,

400A is the current carrying capacity of the VCB, protection is provided by a combination of the Current Transformer (CT) ratio and the Overload (O/L) relays.

Protection relays are normally rated at 5A = 100%

So for your 800KW motor with a Full Load Current (FLC) of 49A you could use 50/5A CT’s with the O/L’s set at say 110% or 100/5A CT’s with the O/L’s set at 55%. Both will give 110% overload protection.

By changing the C/T ratio the O/L’s of the VCB can be set to anything up to 400A

The transformers show in the schematic 1500KVA @ 11000V will have a FLC of 79A so you could use 100/5A C/T’s with the O/L’s set to 90% this will give slightly above 110% O/L protection. (The protection relays I’m used to dealing with are the old PBO & TJM10 inverse time mechanical relays, so setting them to within 1 or 2% isn’t easy)

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed due to it being 6 years old.

Reply to How to calculate sizing of vacuum circuit breaker in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock