Search the forum,

Discuss replacing a dimmer light switch with a regular one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jennliner

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to replace a non-working dimmer light switch with a regular single light switch. Did I do it right? I put the wires in the same place they were on the dimmer switch, but I don't know what the white wire is for. This is for a ceiling fan with a light kit. Blue switch on the left is the new one for the light. Switch on the right is for the fan and works fine. I thought this would be easy, but there are so many wires.
elec 1.jpg
This is the old dimmer switch if that helps.
elec 3.jpg

Are you sure it was connected?
Does the light work?

Hello, I am trying to replace a non-working dimmer light switch with a regular single light switch. Did I do it right? I put the wires in the same place they were on the dimmer switch, but I don't know what the white wire is for. This is for a ceiling fan with a light kit. Blue switch on the left is the new one for the light. Switch on the right is for the fan and works fine. I thought this would be easy, but there are so many wires.
View attachment 116446
This is the old dimmer switch if that helps.
View attachment 116447
Honestly just install a wire nut on it and put it back in the box. It serves no other purpose.

Honestly just install a wire nut on it and put it back in the box. It serves no other purpose.
Can you use a wire nut on a single wire? Does it grip with only one conductor?

Can you use a wire nut on a single wire? Does it grip with only one conductor?
Yes one wire nut will grab a wire but I will suggest an orange one because the wire is 14 gage wire for lighting.

Reply to replacing a dimmer light switch with a regular one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock