Currently reading:
Tell us about your faults!

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

MeterCupboard.jpgHoleInSupplyHead.jpgHoleInHead.jpg

What is the IP rating of this head?

doing rcd tests today on up and down ring circuits ie separate rcd units with newish newlec multifunction tester with x half ok no trip x 5 ok less than 40 m/secs but x1 tester tripped rcd but no reading less than 200 m/secs due to safety device built into meter indicating test stopped due to greater than 50v present possibly across n to e have lost manual so dont quite know what it means ,any bright sparks out there ?

Call from friend (Tennent) who returned from holiday to find power off on sockets and freezer flooded room.

Just been re wired but landlord unable to get the spark who did the work.

Asked to sort the matter out.

Found fault where joiner put screw into cables while installing cabnet enclosing CU and meter.

Thats a dado rail above the ring final cct cables where the cables run and the CU is a bit of a mess with a old cable left in for the shower!

I have told them not to hang any pictures or shelves just in case!!!

DSCN0061.jpgDSCN0059.jpgDSCN0057.jpgDSCN0056.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tell us about your faults !

Jan 2007. HTC in MK. When the sparkies came round to change lamps they couldn't get the wall uplighters in the reception to work for love nor money.

Lifted up the ceiling tiles, traced the wiring, used a test probe...
Then someone looked at the actual bulbs (BC, or ES) and they weren't 240V there were 15V or some odd voltage. Doh!

Good evening guys,Martock 002.jpgMartock 001.jpg

Went to a house during the week to fit a shower circuit and put a light into the loft at the same time. As I entered the loft I was confronted by the attached photo's. now, first off, I know the 'volt-sticks' are not reliable dead testers, however, they are handy for quick checks of cables for anything nasty that needs testing further and I always have one in my pocket. At first glance, I thought to ask the client when I saw her next if she just wanted me to cut it down and get rid. At second glance I got out the volt stick out of habit and held it up to the exposed and corroded copper showing through the perished rubber.

I nearly fell through the ceiling when the volt stick lit up like a christmas tree and beeped it's tone at me!!!

What isn't shown on the photo's is that the cable runs through a partition into next doors loft. I have to admit that the porcelain insulator got me worried, though the small size if the the crumbling cable connected to it confused me (looks like 2.5mm).

I went down and switched off at the mains to see if anything was still on it only to find that it showed dead with the volt stick. OK, go get the long lead and megger MFT out, test, still dead. Turn the power back on and the upstairs lighting and sockets only, MFT shows near enough 100v and the volt stick goes mad again. Isolate socket cct and same thing.

Upstairs lighting cct has no earthing ( CU is labelled correctly), and I then thought to check the 1.5mm I had laid into the loft for the lighting cct and clipped most of the way, with the volt stick and even though it was connected at neither end, got a result.

Is this a common thing? I can only assume that with a lack of earth to absorb any induced voltage that the whole lighting circuit is inducing a standing voltage into anything it comes accross?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an for amateur radio. It's not unusual for them to pick up stray voltage from mains wiring. Small antennas like that aren't too difficult to handle, unlike the big outdoor antennas which could have thousands of volts on them in relation to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an for amateur radio. It's not unusual for them to pick up stray voltage from mains wiring. Small antennas like that aren't too difficult to handle, unlike the big outdoor antennas which could have thousands of volts on them in relation to the ground.

I did wonder if it was some sort of antenna, In my past life in the Royal Navy I fiddled with radio stuff a lot but if the 'snakes wedding' wrapped around the larger cable was the original feed, it would be a bit to large for a tuned circuit so to speak, I may be wrong. What would be ideal is to see what is on the other side of it in the neighbours loft...

One of these photos reminded me of a fault I came across a few years ago...whilst working in house installing some additional lighting the customer mentioned that her two boys were getting shocks from a brass wall light in hallway..upon investigation I found that the light was fed from an adjacent switch. The switch contained a two core feed and a three core flex from the wall light..obviously DIY. The switch itself was a two way switch ..the neutrals were twisted together, the red from two core to switch common and the live from light to L1..guess where the earth from light was connected...L2 so when the light was switched off the whole fitting was live...

Re: Tell us about your faults !

I was called back three times! Lady said her computer lines were down so I tested them and they had failed so I had pulled three new lines. Found a rat that kept eating my wires for lunch. Took me 4 hours to find where the rat was eating. So I invited the rat to dinner and gave him some peanut butter then SNAP! The trap broke his little neck, Job complete. Tangent Electric | Seattle Electricians and Electrical Contractors

IMG-20110906-00007.jpg

Installer left a drill hole for the swa tag on top of the 3 pole isolator. on the particular one he decided to crimp the earth seperatly leaving a hole exposed for the lovely british weather !

IMG-20110419-00065.jpg

the "electrician" signed this job of for a landlord ive started workin for in liverpool. the 1st thing i spotted was a lack of that green stuff he didnt like. i'll let him of for not using earth sleeving. lousy but not lethal... the board was a mess like the rest of the installation.

......however i wont forgive him for not realsing the utilities had not provided a earth link !! for their TNCs sytem...so he just left it. and off course just left the earth bonidng to gas and water floating above in tray work.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock