Search the forum,

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Tell us about your faults !

i had a call to a burning smell from a wall mounted convector found a dead rat across the element ,tasted good with a little brown sauce and a bap :D

Had this one today went to quote on a shop had a look at the head two phases being used one for the upstairs flat the other being the shop,the switch fuse supplies a 60A piro submain to the shops DB 's. They did a really nice job on the flats submain main earth arrangement apart form the 951 earth clamp they just neglected to add the shop to the MET.

photo-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

now this was an intresting one some thing wrong with my lights was the question ,yep most certainly was switch the outside light on the whole of the house lights dimmed ,switch any of the house lights on the outside light dimmed ,belive it or not i located the fault to the out side light what some person had done was to pick up the first light feed in and outs but connected the 2 lives to the light switch and cut the neutrals off .this then fed back to earth bar on the board so basicaly the whole lighting circuit ended up wired in series had to rewire the whole of the lighting circuits , then upgraded to a new CDU 2 RCD's and they tripped mmm found that every socket in the house had a link from earth to neutral loads of TNCS supplies lol all put right no problems since

Well found a good one today ,asked to do a CDU upgrade and the house holder said about his shower and pointed to an old MK 20 amp switch ,yep 8.7kw shower installed just befor xmas ,tapped off the ring main in 2.5mm twe ,the 1.5 3 core flex from the switch to the shower ,now rewired with a nice bit of 10 mm , house was full of faults trapped earths neutral faults open circuit fault list was a mile long now all sorted

Attachments

• GEDC4125.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 512

1.5mm, bet they didn`t need a heater in the bathroom with that size it would have been glowing

Im just amazed that it didnt catch fire !! no RCD protection either ,makes a mockery of part P ,and i bet the work wasnt notified either !!!:rolleyes:

i once went to look at a socket in the kitchen that had been running the kettle and toaster. the guy had extended the cables with car wire and a 6 amp t block, been working for 2 years or more before it melted down to the mess i found it in

Did a periodic a few years ago 4 way dist board , looked ok till i found an electric shower ,all that was in the board was cooker immersion lights sockets , the girl said there was a fishy smell when they had a shower some one had tapped into the cooker cable straight to the shower the fishy smell was the junction box melting checking the fuse it had 3 pieces of 30 fuse wire in it she was gutted when i told her the fault and both circuits had to be replaced as the 6 mm was partially melted ,just had a new kitchen too , felt sorry for her

Went to house the other day to replace faulty 45 amp pull switch for shower. It had big brown hole on the front. After screwing it down found bad neutral connection had fried and burnt through switch. Its 8.5kw shower with 6mm fed from proper mcb and 30mA trip. So had to go into roofspace to get length on cable where i was amazed to find the lights wired in 1.5 through numerous JB`s with all earths cut off! Then discovered that either the lights were feeding sockets or sockets feeding lights! Found 30amp JB with 2 2.5mm cables and 3 1.5mm cables. 1 for shaver liight/socket. 1 for upstairs sockets and then for lights. the 1.5 for the sockets was then split by couple more junction boxes to more sockets some with no earth and all in 1.5mm cable. Spent two days rewiring through the upstairs. It was Bungalow with upstairs conversion and found that downstairs was well done and everything labelled and tidy but i very much doubt it was spark who wired upstairs. The Family that are living in house bought it as it was and only for the fault in shower we discovered the rest. Surly they have some comeback on the seller of the house on this.

mother in law once looked after the kids one night (pigs do fly they must do) went to pick them up to her moaning that one of them had been bad and turned her freezer off it`s all ruined she said and none of the sockets work now either. turned out to be the 2 bar electric fire. cables had perished and were melted to the casing thus tripping the rcd and leaving mrs happy speechless for a change

Last edited by a moderator:

found this in a suspended ceiling today. the pics are far from the best as they are off the phone. all the cpc`s were wired outside the jb well it`s original if nothing else. 5 or 6 live cables chopped and left coming out the ends of it one 20 foot away form the jb. the socket was one of the ones that were still wired into it, on .75mm. another quality instal by bodjit and run

Attachments

• Image(228).jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 449
  • Image(227).jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Image(226).jpg
    250 KB · Views: 397
  • Image(225).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 385

How about this for a neat and tidy job!

Attachments

• Photos 003.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 526
  • Photos 004.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 580

found this in a suspended ceiling today. the pics are far from the best as they are off the phone. all the cpc`s were wired outside the jb well it`s original if nothing else. 5 or 6 live cables chopped and left coming out the ends of it one 20 foot away form the jb. the socket was one of the ones that were still wired into it, on .75mm. another quality instal by bodjit and run

Phil, I can definately see the problems there...

In the first image, the dynamic range is too broad for the sensor in your phone, resulting in blown out highlights and blocked-in shadows. The other 3 are probably a victim of your shutter speed being slower than the focal length of the phone's lens, resulting in obvious camera shake :p

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock