Currently reading:
Tell us about your faults!

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Thanks to those who replied. I will post the DB picture with the relevant questions I have, shortly. Will have to learn how to draw on the pic, post pics in here, etc...newbie at this:)

:rolleyes:Heres and intresting one i came across on a routine PI ,NIC regesterd company replaced the CDU 2007 but what struck me was the earth type TNS or TNCS ,obviousley he didnt check ,i though it was obviouse TNS , but the 16mm from the main CDU was connected to the bock on the side of the cutout and the bonding and earths for the other CDU's were from the outer of the supply , testing confirmed it was a TNS and the earth block on the side of the Cutout was connected , so the earth for the distboard was comming via the cpc of the immersion heater nice eh lucky the bonding was in place ,if only he'd tested it properly then he'd spotted his error ,

Attachments

• GEDC4328.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 359
  • GEDC4329.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 348
  • GEDC4333.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 331

Dont know which I like best, the low budget earth sleave or the colour blind DIYer???
jpg.gif

Attachments

• !cid_Image0135.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 445

had that on a re-wire, he had changed his sockets and as they came out from left to right he just put them back in in that order. live in the earth terminal n in the e term, earth in the live, n in live, live in n earth in n , n in earth. no wonder the loop readings were all over the place when i went to do a pir. got some nice voltage readings on the earth bar as well

:rolleyes:Heres and intresting one i came across on a routine PI ,NIC regesterd company replaced the CDU 2007 but what struck me was the earth type TNS or TNCS ,obviousley he didnt check ,i though it was obviouse TNS , but the 16mm from the main CDU was connected to the bock on the side of the cutout and the bonding and earths for the other CDU's were from the outer of the supply , testing confirmed it was a TNS and the earth block on the side of the Cutout was connected , so the earth for the distboard was comming via the cpc of the immersion heater nice eh lucky the bonding was in place ,if only he'd tested it properly then he'd spotted his error ,

still learning, so a couple of questions to help me understand:

... testing confirmed it was a TNS ...
pic2 showing Err 4 on the mft is three lead test with earth lead connected to the earth block on side. What is that test i.e. what is the test doing, and why is it coming up with err4 and then with a result 0.18 when earth lead is connected to the earth wire in pic3?
Is that earth wire the one from the immersion, and so earth is then via bonding to incoming services (effectively a sort of TT)?

...the earth block on the side of the Cutout was connected ...
what was it connected to?

basically the earth block on the side of the cutout is for a TNCS system , how ever its a TNS system and the earth block on the side of the cutout is not in use ,(not connected to neutral as would be in a TNCS) the error 4 on the fluke meters indicates that an earth is not present , so when i carried out the Zs test , disconnecting the bonding conductors it gave me an error 4 no earth , so the numpty who wired the main board earth to the cut out didnt check the Zs before he connected the bonding conductors , so what i did was to reconnect the bonding conductors to the earth of the TNS and retested the Zs using the main earth to the board as in the picture , the connected the main earth to the board and reconnected to the earth of the TNS supply and retested after disconnecting the bonding conductors , then reconnecting the bonding , the worrying thing is the supply is a loop in and out to the next propert and the 2 cable earths are linked in an earth block , so it is possible to disconnect the earth from the whole street by removing the earth block ,so i had to be carefull which earths was removed ,all testes were carried out with the supply switched off at the main isolator

Last edited by a moderator:

still learning, so a couple of questions to help me understand:

pic2 showing Err 4 on the mft is three lead test with earth lead connected to the earth block on side. What is that test i.e. what is the test doing, and why is it coming up with err4 and then with a result 0.18 when earth lead is connected to the earth wire in pic3?
Is that earth wire the one from the immersion, and so earth is then via bonding to incoming services (effectively a sort of TT)?

what was it connected to?

pic 2 is a Zs test ,i was concerned at the supply earth and wanted to confirm TNS or TNCS ,found the block on the cutout was not connected this was confirmed by the test , the cable was the main earth to the board which i had disconnected and did a test to confirm the bonding was connected via the TNS earth connection ,normally i do this test by disconnecting the bonding earth at the board and using the long lead method test at the connection to the service ie gas oil water when i disconnected the earths of the circuits i found that the only earth to be connected to the earth bar via the bonding to the TNS supply was the immersion heater so basically the main earth was a 1.5mm cpc of the immersion

Tell us about your faults !

If you are in any doubt consult a competent person ...

Found stuff inside a lamp holder when removing for IR tests ...

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 370

I was doing up one of my daughters room. Was adding another socket and opened up a jb to find it jam packed with dead wasps. looking further under the floorboards there where hundreds of them, lucky for me all dead too. Forgot to take a pic though

adavis if its a bathroom yes code 2 however if its just for example a downstairs wc then no problems. look at section 701. no mention of sinks just showers and baths.

let the argument begin!!!!:)

Last edited:

Yes an interesting difference wc V bathroom. It is the steam that is an issue not wet hands i guess. this is a bathroom so i have changed it to be outside the bathroom and a tiler has a nice hole to fill.

not just steam as steamrooms are a seperate section of section 7 . its linked in with the a risk assesment. if a wc there is less likly hood of a person being completly wet and there fore having a low resistance to earth. In a bathroom there is a highter risk.

I have always thought that conventional switches were just a bad idea in bathrooms regardless of zones or definition i always try and fit pull cord switches where i can

Did it also not occur to the muppet that fitted that switch that a class 1 metalic switch was a bad idea in a bathroom.

Last edited:

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back